Pan Card (Permanent Account Number) is issued by the Income-tax Department of India and owning a PAN card is compulsory for all transactions above ₹50,00 Say thanks to Intenet, Now you can apply for a Pan card online from your home by filling a simple form.
However, you need to post the required verification documents to the Income Tax PAN Services office to complete the process.
Once, you fill the application on the website and mail the required documents, The PAN Card application will be addressed, and the PAN Card will be shipped directly to your home.
In this post, I am going to tell you how to apply for Pan Card Online. Just follow the steps below to get your PAN Card.
How To Apply For Pan Card Online?
Note: I suggest you fill the application using the Google Chrome browser from a laptop or Desktop.
1. First, Visit the NSDL website here.
You will be redirected to “Online Application for New PAN (Form 49A) page”. If you want to get a PAN Card, you have to fill form 49A online and submit the form. The steps for filling the form 49A are mentioned below.
2. Scroll Down to the bottom of the page and you can find “Apply for a new PAN Card.” From the Drop down menu choose “Individual” and click on “Select”.
You can find the Form filling instructions here.
3. In the First Field, you have fill AO CODE (Area Code, AO Type, Range Code and AO Number).
AO code is a combination of Area Code, Ao Type, Range Code and AO Number.
You can easily find the details of the AO code.
Visit this page and scroll down to the bottom. You have to choose your city by selecting the appropriate alphabet.
After selecting your city, you can find all the details of AO code.
Tip: If the list is long, use (Ctrl + F) and search your (Ward/Circle/Range/ Commissioner)
Alternatively, you can also call the Income Tax department helpline at 18001801961 to find the details about your AO code.
4. You can easily fill all the other details like Name, Gender, Date of Birth, Details of Parents, Address, Office Address, Mobile Number, Email-id, source of income.
Please note that your Name that is to be printed on the card (First Name, Last Name) should be exactly same as the Name on your Proof of identity, Adress proof, and Date of Birth Proof.
Also, note that all the fields marked with *(asterisk) must be filled. All the other fields are optional.
Our country code is (91), and you can find your Area/STD code here.
Documents Required for Pan card
As I mentioned earlier, you need to the send the necessary documents like Proof of Identity, Address Proof and Date of Birth Proof via mail.
Proof of Identity Documents for Pan Card
A copy of Any of the following Identity Proof Documents is accepted.
- Aadhar Card issued by UIDAI
- Voter id card
- Driving Licence
- Ration Card having your photograph
- Arms License
- Photo Identity Card issued by Central or State Government
- Pensioner Card Having applicants photograph
- Central Government Health Scheme Card
- Certificate of Identity (Original) signed by a Gazetted Officer
- Bank certificate (Original) on letterhead from the branch (along with name and stamp of the issuing officer) containing duly attested photograph and bank account number of the applicant
Proof of Address
A copy of any of the following documents should serve as Address proof
- Aadhaar Card
- Elector’s Photo Identity card
- Driving License
- Post Office Passbook having address of the applicant
- Latest property tax assessment order
- Domicile certificate issued by the Government
- Allotment letter of accommodation issued by the Central or State Government of not more than three years old
- Property Registration certificate
The Following Documents can also be submitted as address proof, and the copy should not be more than three months old.
- Electricity Bill
- Landline Telephone Bill
- Broadband Connection bill
- Water Bill
- Consumer gas connection card or book or piped gas bill.
- Bank Pass Book along with account statement.
- Depository account statement
- Credit card statement
- Certificate of address signed by a Gazetted Officer
- Employer certificate
Date of Birth Proof
The Copy of any of the below documents can be mailed as Proof of date of birth
Please note that the name, date, month and year of birth should be clearly visible on the document.
- Aadhar Card
- Elector’s Photo Identity Card
- Driving license
- Matriculation Certificate or Mark sheet of recognized board (10th Standard in most cases)
- Birth certificate issued by the municipal authority or any authorized office
- Photo identity card issued by the Central or State Government
- Public Sector Undertaking or State Public Sector Undertaking
- Domicile certificate issued by the Government
- Central Government Health Service Scheme photo card or Ex-servicemen Contributory
- Health Scheme photo card
- Pension payment order
- Marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriages
- Affidavit Sworn before a Magistrate stating the date of birth
5. In the PAN Card Application form, select the documents that you are going to mail them.
6. Before proceeding to the final step, fill the applicant name and place.
Recheck all the entered information, Make sure all the spellings are correct and select any of the payment options like Credit/Debit cards, Internet Banking, demand draft or cheque and click on submit.
You have to pay ₹107.00 (Application fee). Additional Bank charges may apply.
7. Now, Review all the details you have entered in the form and enter the captcha code and then click confirm.
8. Now, you will be redirected to the terms and conditions page. Just note down the transaction number at the top of the page and click agree.
8. Finally, Make the payment. After successful payment, you will receive an acknowledgment form which has 15-Digit acknowledgment number.
9. Save the acknowledgment form on your computer and print it.
If you want to check the status of online payment or print the acknowledgement receipt again, visit here and enter the required details.
10. On the PAN Card Acknowledge form, you have to paste two copies of your photographs with your signature covering both the form and your photo.
Your Signature / Left Thumb mark should only be Within the box provided in the acknowledgement.
Note: Attach new colour photographs with white background (size 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm)
11. Put the PAN Card Acknowledge form and all the required documents (Address proof, DOB proof and Identity proof) in an envelope.
In case, you make the payment using Cheque or DD, and you have to include it in the envelope.
On the envelope, write APPLICATION FOR PAN – (Your Acknowledgment number)
(e.g. ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN— N-881010100000097’)
Visit the nearest post office and post the envelope to NSDL at Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016.
Important: Your Envelope should reach the NSDL within 15 Days from the date of application. So, Make sure you send the Application via Speed post or Register post.
Tracking PAN Card Application Status
If you want to track the status of your PAN Card Application, visit this site.
Select Application type, enter your Acknowledgment number, Name, and Date of Birth and click on submit.
You can also call 020-27218080 and find the status of your application or SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No. & send to 57575 to get application status.
There are many benefits of owning a PAN Card, it is required for filing Income tax, purchasing or selling a property, PAN also serves as a legitimate photo identification proof, having a PAN card is mandatory to start a Business, for all Bank transactions above ₹50,000.
So, If you have not applied for a PAN Card yet, just follow the simple steps that I have mentioned above and get your card. If you have any questions regarding “Applying for a PAN Card online” post them in the comments section below and I’ll answer them.